Print Recipe Pin Recipe Rate Recipe Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List Add to Collection Go to Collections
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 Large pot
- 1 Strainer or colander
- 2 lbs russet potatoes (yukon gold also work) peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 Tbsp salt for salting water
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter chopped
- ⅓ cup milk room temperature or warmed slightly in microwave
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 - 4 Tbsp extra unsalted butter (dependent upon your preference)
- chives or parsley chopped
- Place the potatoes in a large pot with 1 Tbsp salt. Add water so it’s at least 4” above the potatoes.
- Bring to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat so it’s simmering rapidly. Cook for about 15 minutes or until potatoes are very soft (pierce with a fork to test; they should fall apart).
- Drain well and return into the pot. Set aside away from heat for about 1 minute, shaking the pot every now and then, to encourage evaporation of water. Add the flavorings and mash well, preferably with a wooden spoon, using a few more splashes of milk to make it looser if desired.NOTE: DO NOT use a beater, blender (of any kind), or a food processor, as using them can cause your potatoes to become like a glue consistency.
- Garnish as you wish, serve and enjoy!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!